It's a fresh start - happy 2017! Many homeowners will look to spruce up their existing digs or decorate a brand new abode this year. I've combed through the top design trend predictions and reports and have curated my favorites just for you. Let me know what you think!
1) Texture, Texture, Texture - Think pleats, unique stitching, faux fur, mohair, and velvet! From Elle Decor:
2) Luxe Ping Pong Tables - Okay, I know most San Franciscans don't have room for one of these, but one can dream! I don't love all of Remodelista's 2017 predictions, but this is pretty special.
3) Geometric Prints - I love geometric prints in fashion and textiles, and am glad we're taking the simple hexagon tile to the next level. I often encourage clients to go BIG in the powder room with their design, and this bathroom is such a good example of how a bold print can really make a little room pop! From Realtor.com:
4) Satin Brass - I don't think this one is a huge surprise - it's been popping up everywhere and will continue to be on trend in 2017. I love the soft aspect of this finish it as it can fit in with a lot of different styles - this is definitely not the shiny brass from the 80's! From Forbes:
5) Pantone's Color of the Year is Greenery - Okay, I have to admit, I can only take this color in small doses, but with the right planning you could make it work. It's fascinating how the colors are picked each year, and this year's color choice is packed with social meaning from our political division to the environment and eco-consciousness. Check out the Forbes article on how it was selected. For now, here's my favorite use of the color in interiors from Delightfull.eu:
6) Voice-Activated Assistants - We should start to see more and more people adopt technologies like Amazon's Echo and the new Google Home. Just say the activation phrase (either Alexa for the Echo or OK for Google) and the device fires up and awaits your command. You can order items from your Prime account from Amazon, check the weather, or sync to apps like BMW to unlock your car remotely or sync your FitBit. Click here to see all the services Echo offers and here for Google Home. Amazon's Echo, recently added smart home features with companies like Lutron, Crestron, Philips Hue, Wemo, Honeywell, Nest, and Samsung Smart Home to other services from Uber, Domino’s, NPR and more.
7) Jewel Tones - LOVE this trend and honestly did it ever really go out of style? I love crushed raspberry and peacock blue. This should be a fun one to follow!
8) Matte Black Stainless Steel - This made an appearance on so many lists, so I had to include it. Stainless steel isn't going anywhere it's just getting a new black matte finish, which is a trend all on it's on. Check out 17 ways to decorate with Black Matte finishes from Architectural Digest.
9) Cork - This one is interesting, and again, it just kept coming up in my research. It'll be interesting to see how it's used. From Domain.au "Not only is cork a stylish material idea that adds warmth and texture to spaces, it’s also ideal for absorbing noise in our increasingly large, open plan homes." I do like this office - it's great to be able to have a whole wall for photos, clippings, etc.
10) Artisan - Out with the DIY and in with artisan! Think handmade, one of a kind blankets, baskets, ceramic dinnerware and pottery. From Pop Sugar: